Blog essay assignment: For this assignment, you must write a 500-word essay in which you describe the current impact of blogging on American culture and journalism. You must provide links to your source material. All information about blogging is easily available on the web. You can easily obtain this material through simple Google searches. You might ask yourself these questions as you prepare to write your essay: How do blogs compete with traditional media sources? How important are blogs in politics? Do blogs promote democracy? What are the drawbacks of blogs? Ultimately, you must make a claim, or argument, about the significance of blogs in today's world. If you wish to apply this to your major, that is fine, in fact, preferable.
Blog essay guidelines, deadlines
- See the syllabus for specifics on assignment, and submission guidelines
- You are to write a 500-word essay about some aspect and/or question of blogging in today's world, which could be anything, including an area in your major professional field. See syllabus.
- Here are the deadlines:
- Two proposed topics, for in-class discussion, approval, Tuesday, Sept. 24.
- List of at least four web sources, Tuesday, Oct. 1
- Introductory paragraph, Tuesday Oct. 8
- Paper due, Thursday, Oct. 17
- Intro, thesis statement
- What your views are, citing weblinks.
- To be typed in 12 point, Times New Roman font. double-spaced. One side of the paper.
- This essay is worth 100 points.
- Warning--A misspelled word costs you 50 points. If I find one, I quit grading, give you a 50 and an F.
- Grammar, punctuation, other errors cost five points each.
- No fancy covers. First page, your name, Title of paper, and start writing. Staple pages together. List links and other sources separately at end of essay.
- You will also submit the paper as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org, so that I can submit it to turnitin.com for plagiarism check, if I think necessary.